Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My extremely profound thoughts on technology

There are things I love about technology: being able to Google and find the answer to almost anything in seconds (how do you remove permanent marker from a dry-erase board? Just write over it with a dry-erase marker, and erase!), ordering things online, being able to see my photos instantly and determine if I need to try again, Playaways, finding other people online who have the same obscure obsessions I have (baby names, anyone?), emailing friends (especially nice since my best friend lives in Paris and I don't write letters), and once in a while that cell phone really comes in handy. But, you know, not really that often. I mostly feel like we're paying $70 a month for not very much.

We're late adopters: my internet connection at home is dial-up (and that is definitely a waste of money), we got a dvd player and cell phones after everyone else, and we don't have cable or satellite tv (shhhh, don't tell anyone--we use rabbit ears). I finally got an iPod, but I can't really use it the way I'd like to, since I can't get iTunes to work on my computer at home, and I'm not allowed to download it at work (can't iTunes be one of the 23 things? Pretty please?). My husband has to put music on my iPod at work, though I'm sure he's not supposed to either. I've never sent a text message or downloaded a ringtone.

The main reason I'm not keeping up with technology is that I just don't want to spend the money (and I can't really see the use of text messaging and don't want to be tempted to watch more tv). Also, I don't ever want to be like the three people at the table next to us in Ruby Tuesday one time, who were each on their cell phones, one call after another, all through dinner. Why the heck did they go to dinner together? They didn't talk to each other once, just kept chattering on to whoever was on the other end of the line. That's just sad.

No comments: